Friday, January 13, 2012

Defeat

I knew going in that I'd probably not make it out with an intact ship. But damn, what are you going to do? Let them hold on to your system and take your people?

I warp to the minor complex in Amarr-occupied Vard, knowing full well there's a Griffin and Catalyst there, with a Cormorant as backup. I knew the Griffin wouldn't at all try to move, so I opted to go for more shields and not even bother with a propulsion jammer. It worked, until the Griffin jammed me. Just two more salvos and it would have been down...opening up many more tactical options against the remaining two.

Typical Amarrian bullshit.

I then scouted around in a Rifter and encountered a Sentinel. Having piloted one of these things myself, I knew where its weakness was: an absolute lack of guns of its own. I kept a good fifteen kilometer range from the Sentinel, though this was still within his energy neutralizer range. No issue. I even took out four of his drones. Great. Too bad the Sentinel has sixty cubic meters of drone bay space....it was a long and drawn out loss.

At this point I figure I should at least try to make up for my losses and go mineral scavenging in the belts with my recently-built but modestly-fit Cyclone. A poor mistake. A suspicious-looking Drake was in one of the belts and they quickly locked me down. The Y-T microwarp drive was shut off by his scrambler. I was doomed, even with Hornet ECM drones on him. That too was a long and drawn out ship loss, lasting about two minutes or so.

And so, dear logs, the temptation to simply quit the combat profession against other capsuleers is tempting. One simply cannot win without superior numbers or equipment. Tactics be damned; the capsule makes it too easy for an opponent to win by slightly superior tech alone, nevermind numerical advantages.

It is frustrating that there hasn't been a ship engineered to rush into a group of enemies and detonate, inflicting massive damage on them. I would probably be quite at home with such a ship, and it would definitely tip the balance of power away from mere numbers and more towards those skilled in stealth and speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment